Tuesday 28 August 2012

Strawberry runners



With the advice of Monty Don on Gardeners World,Our Plot at Green Lane blog,Allotments 4 All and the people at the Allotment shop,I have been sorting out my Marshmello strawberry runners.
First job was to clear away the straw,then I cut off any leaves that were brown or shrivelled.
Then I filled some pots with compost and played hunt the runner and untangled it.
Some had already rooted in the soil so I cut them off from the parent plant and gave them a good watering.
I placed a runner in a pot and weighed it down with a couple of stones and hopefully they will take.
I also brought a few runners home, potted them up and pinned them down with a paper clip.
Looking forward to having numerous new plants later on in the year.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Peter. Must admit I usually cut off the runners and pop them in a pot anyway and they seem to root without mummy's help!

    ReplyDelete